I live in an area where almost everyone has Jehovah’s Witnesses or Mormon missionaries coming to their door. Everyone gets them except me. I’m very sad about that, because I love sharing the gospel with them whenever I can. Most of the time they get doors slammed in their faces. I mean, I’m glad that most people are bothered by them and that they can’t spread their false teaching. I also would say if you are new to the faith and their witnessing would bother you, don’t let them stay there but direct them to a believer who will share the gospel with them. Here are some reasons why not to turn away Mormon missionaries:
1. They are lost and they need the gospel. Have you ever prayed for a witness encounter? This is your chance to share the gospel with them.
2. It is a chance to improve your listening skills. The best way to improve your listening skills is to listen to someone you don’t agree with. It might feel like listening to nails on a chalkboard, but if you listen to them, you can listen to anyone.
3. It is a chance to learn how to springboard into the spiritual. My friend Andrew Rappaport has a game he likes to play where you pick the topic and he springboards into a gospel message. Jesus did that with the woman at the well. (John 4) He asked her for some water. She asked why he would talk to a Samaritan. Then he told her that if she knew who she was talking to if she asked he would give her living water. The conversation led to Him revealing to her that He is the Messiah.
4. It helps grow you in the fruit of the spirit. It is not hard for you to be kind, loving, patient, and self-controlled to people you agree with. It is extremely hard for people who are cultists trying to get you to join their Satanic cult. Just keep remembering that even though they are trying to convert you, you are trying to convert them with the Word of God by the power of the Spirit of God.
5. They are going to Hell if they do not know Jesus rightly. They believe that there is a plurality of gods, of which God was a part of; Jesus and Satan are Spirit brothers; that salvation is by faith after all they can do; and that eventually we become gods who rule our own planet. That is not even scratching the surface. 1 John 4:3 says, “By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.” If you get Jesus wrong, you get the gospel wrong and you are not saved. They not only get Jesus wrong, but they also get God, salvation, and eternity wrong.
When a Mormon comes to your house, it is your chance to share with them the gospel. Tell them that there is only one God. Tell them that they are sinners. Get them to admit they are lying, thieving, blasphemous adulterers at heart. That they are destined for Hell. Then share with them that God is merciful and that He sent his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, who was fully God and Fully Man, to die on a cross to pay the penalty for their sin. God can legally dismiss their case if they repent of their sin, and their Mormonism, and trust in Jesus alone to save them. Then they can have eternal life like Ray Comfort does in this video.
[Please check out the Resources page and get some resources that will help you study the Bible and share your faith].