I believe that the main reason people don’t read their Bibles is because they have no motivation to do so. They don’t have the drive to go to the scriptures. What should be our driving factor in reading the Bible? The answer is a changed heart. Here is a list of what the Bible says about itself:
- 2 Timothy 3:14-17: It makes you wise to salvation. It points you to the savior. It makes the man of God complete.
- Psalm 1: It blesses those who follow it. Whatever they do to eternity lasts forever.
- Psalm 19:7-13: It is perfect, it revives the soul, it is sure, it makes the simple wise, it makes the heart glad, it teaches, it lasts forever, it keeps those who follow it from sin.
- Romans 15:4: The scriptures were written for our encouragement and hope.
- John 10:35: Scripture is not contradictory.
- Matthew 5: Jesus taught it literally.
- Luke 24:27: Scripture points to Jesus
Yet, with all of these promises and truths about the valuableness of scripture, most people don’t read their Bible. The reason is because only the spiritual person can accept them (1 Corinthians 2:14). By spiritual I mean that only the person who has the Holy Spirit living in their heart will be driven to understand, love, and follow the scripture. People who don’t want to read their Bible are either sick (some sin is controlling their life) or dead (not saved). If you are sick, you need to repent of your sin, seek help from your pastor and/or church, and dive into Bible study and prayer for your healing.
If you are dead, you need to realize that you are headed for Hell because of your sin. The reason you don’t love the Bible is because you don’t love the savior. God is merciful to you sinner. God sent His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, who is fully God and fully man, to die on the cross to pay the penalty for your sin. Jesus payed your fine so He can legally dismiss your case if you repent of your sin and trust in Jesus to save you from sin. Then God will seal you with the Holy Spirit. Then you will want to join a local church and read the Bible and follow it daily.
Please share this with your friends that they may hear the gospel and be saved. Thank you for reading this I hope that this has blessed you. For additional resources you can go to Josiah’s sermons for examples of going verse by verse through the Bible and using context to explain it. If you want to read the Bible and understand it you can go to the resource page and get the Using Hermeneutics Book Series. If you buy these books they will teach you how to study God’s Word and you will be helping this ministry greatly. Please consider buying my books to help support this blog, I can’t do this on a regular basis without you. They also make great gospel tracts. Not only do they find out how to study the Bible but they read the gospel over and over again. Lord bless you and study God’s Word.