“Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures” Romans 1:2 KJV
Intro: I want to talk to you today about my heart. All my emotions, thoughts, and conscience are bound to the Word of God. The Words of God revealed in the scriptures are my life blood. Cut that out of my life and I am a dry corpse. Scripture is attacked and has been attacked since the beginning when the serpent said that, “You shall not surely die.” What is most shocking is when the church attacks the scriptures. It boils my blood when a popular Bible teacher says that Christianity is a house of cards when we base it off the Bible. This so-called Bible teacher says that we have to “unhitch the Old Testament from the Christian faith” and “we need to stop saying ‘the Bible tells me so’” because evolution disproves the Bible. That drives me stark raving mad because the gospel is founded on the Old Testament. God says so, Jesus says so, and Paul says so. The gospel of God was promised beforehand From God through the prophets in the Holy Scriptures. If we abandon the OT scriptures, and the scriptures in general, we abandon the faith. You want proof of the gospel, look at the Old Testament Scriptures. You can trust the Bible Because:
God said so: Prophesies of Jesus
- Genesis 3:16
- Passover Exodus 12:21-28
- Sacrifices in Leviticus
- Office of the King
- Office of prophet in Deuteronomy 18:15
- Psalm 22
- Isaiah 53
- Over 300 more prophesies in the Bible just one being fulfilled by chance is 1 to 1017 that is a number that is greater than atoms in the universe. It is like taking Texas covered in 2ft of silver dollars marking one with an x, throwing it in the lot, mixing it up and Jesus finding it 1st time blindfolded. Jesus did that over 300 times. That is 10157 that is 10x greater that the number of impossibility.
Jesus Said So
- Matthew 5:17-20
- Jesus used scripture to fight temptation
- Jesus used scripture to teach against divorce.
- John 10:35 Scripture cannot be broken.
- Jesus said that the scriptures pointed to Him. To the Pharisees and on the road to Emmaus Luke 24.
Paul and the other Apostles said So
- Romans 1:2 The scriptures come from God through the apostles thus making Holy scripture. God sovereignly used and orchestrated the lives of the prophets to write exactly what he wanted them to infallibly, and without error.
- Romans 15:4: Scripture was written for our instruction so that we might have hope. It is useful for daily living.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 Scripture is God breathed and is Sufficient for Holy living.
- 2 Peter 1:19-21: Peter said Old Testament scripture was stronger evidence for Jesus being the Lord Christ than his eyewitness testimony for the prophets that wrote it were carried along by the Holy Spirit, not that the New Testament is any less inspired.
Instead of a house of cards, Christianity is a living temple built upon the bedrock of the prophets and the teaching of the apostles, aka the Bible. Christianity without the Bible is a house made on sand. Jesus said, ““Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.” Build your life on the scriptures.
Dear heavenly Father,
Thank you so much for your word. It is our rock. It reveals you, your character, your plan of salvation, and your wisdom. By it we are made wise unto salvation. We are prepared for eternity. We come to know your Son by it. Whom you sent to be the blood sacrifice that appeases your wrath against our sin. Your scriptures reveal that when He died on the cross and rose from the dead that he paid the penalty for our sin. You say in your Word that if we repent of our sin, and trust in Jesus you give us the right to become your children and give us eternal life. When we repent of our sin and trust in you, you seal us with the Holy Spirit who helps us understand and accept the Scriptures. Help us live according to the direction and promises of your Word. It’s in Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.