There are many reasons why people don’t study the Bible: 1. they’re not saved, 2. they can’t read, 3. they believe the lies that Satan had come up with about the Bible. I am going to focus in the third reason as to why people do not read the Bible. I’m going to explode 7 Bible myths that Satan has come up with. Here we go.
- The Bible was written by King James. Actually the Bible was written by over 40 different authors over 1,500 years on three Continents. There are 5,800 manuscripts of the New Testament and 24,000 ancient copies and translations of the Whole Bible. The earliest copy is p52 (a papyri fragment of John) and it was dated to be recorded 20 years (Around 120 AD) after the original manuscript was written. King James came around 1611 AD. Needless to say King James didn’t write it.
- We don’t know that the Bible originally said. Actually we know what it said. Through textual criticism, we have discovered that the copers of the New Testament were very careful in writing their copies down. Out of all the copyist errors between the translations, less than 1% make any meaningful variations. None of those variations change any teaching in the NT. (For more on this check out what James White Has to say in New Testament Reliability available on wretched.org).
- The Bible is not historically accurate. Actually the Bible is extremely accurate. The Bible records ancient Middle Eastern history so accurately that archeologists use it to find lost civilizations (ex. the Hittites). We have found the city of Jericho, Ur, Babylon, Assyria, and ect. The kings and governors recorded in the Bible were real people and what happened to the in recorded history matches what has been said in the Bible(ex. Nebuchadnezzar, Pontius Pilate, Joseph of Arimathea, Herod). For evidence of the Exodus see the Patterns of Evidence: Exodus movie.
- There are so many translations on the Bible that it can’t be true. Actually a translation makes no difference in the truth claims of the Bible. A translation is taking Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic and transforming the truth in it into English or some other modern day language. Translations that are accurate make the Bible easier to understand for the average person who has not studied Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic. This myth is a category error. It’s like saying 2+2=Delaware, Washington.
- There are so many interpretations of the Bible you can’t know what it means. Actually you can know what it means if you interpret it literally in its literal historical, grammatical context. It is so simple that a child can understand it. I started reading it at the age of 7. If you interpret the Bible according to your feelings or reason, then you wont be able to understand it. If you come to it humbly like a child to be mastered by it, you will be able to understand it.
- The Bible means whatever you want it to mean. Actually the Bible means whatever the authors want it to mean. You wouldn’t want someone to do that to you. If you are in danger and you cry out , “help!”, you don’t want people to interpret that to mean Beyoncé should be the next president of Honolulu. Its easy to tell what the author means when you look at the literal grammatical historical context.
- The Bible isn’t relevant to today’s culture. Actually this would only be true if the Bible wasn’t true. Jesus Christ is still Lord. People still are guilty for their sins. They still have to face judgement day. If they face judgement day without Christ, they will go to Hell. Jesus Christ died on a cross, paying the penalty for sin and rose from the dead. People must repent of their sin and trust in Jesus Christ for salvation. These truths are still true and will be till Christ returns to judge the living and the dead.
We just exploded 7 Bible myths. I hope this has blessed you. Please feel free to look at the resource page to get resources on how to study the Bible. Please feel free to comment in the comment section. Please no pornography or cursing. Lord bless you.